Looking to identify and solve electrical problems in HVAC systems? If so, you know that a multimeter is a must-have tool. But, which one should you have? With so many instruments in the market, making an informed decision can be a daunting task. Fortunately, we have compiled a comprehensive list of some of the best HVAC multimeters to ensure that you make the right decision.
Table of Contents
- 1 Editor’s Choice – Fluke 116/323 KIT HVAC Multimeter and Clamp Meter Combo Kit
- 1.1 Top Features
- 1.1.1 Integrated DMM Temperature Probe
- 1.1.2 Dual Impedance Capability
- 1.1.3 Auto-V stands for automatic volts and it is meant to determine if the measured signal is a DC or AC voltage. It helps you select the right range and function to ensure that the displayed voltage is as desired.
- 1.1.4 True-RMS Clamp Meter
- 1.1.5 PROS
- 1.1.6 CONS
- 1.1 Top Features
- 2 Runner Up – Klein Tools MM600 HVAC Multimeter
- 3 Budget Choice – Amprobe AM-560 Advanced HVAC Digital Multi-meter
- 4 Most Versatile – Fieldpiece SC260 Clamp Multimeter With True RMS
- 5 Beginner’s Choice – KAIWEETS Digital Multimeter TRMS 6000
- 6 Summary
Editor’s Choice – Fluke 116/323 KIT HVAC Multimeter and Clamp Meter Combo Kit
If you are looking for a comprehensive solution to all of your HVAC troubleshooting needs, this Fluke Combo Kit comes with all the accessories that an HVAC professional would need. Unlike many other multi-meters in its class, it measures capacitance, frequency, continuity, resistance, and provides Min/Max/Average readings to record signal fluctuations. Besides this, it has a lot more to offer.
Integrated DMM Temperature Probe
The Fluke 116 combo kit is designed with an integrated DMM temperature probe. This means that there is no need to carry a separate thermometer. Besides, it is designed to make flame sensor measurements to 0.1 microamps – useful capability for HVAC.
Dual Impedance Capability
The Fluke combo kit comes with dual impedance capability which incorporates both low and high impedance test capabilities to detect ghost voltages. All you need to do is use the Auto-V/LoZ test to find out whether the measurement is true or a ghost voltage.
Auto-V stands for automatic volts and it is meant to determine if the measured signal is a DC or AC voltage. It helps you select the right range and function to ensure that the displayed voltage is as desired.
The LoZ feature injects a low impedance input to a circuit under test to reduce the chances of getting false readings from ghost voltages. This increases accuracy when testing to see whether there is a voltage or not.
True-RMS Clamp Meter
For troubleshooting purposes, this Fluke Combo kit is designed with a True-RMS Clamp Meter which makes it ideal for tight cable compartments. With this feature, it is a perfect choice for residential and commercial electricians.
- Integrated DMM probe for temperature measurements
- True-RMS Clamp Meter which makes it ideal for tight cable compartments
- AutoV/LoZ feature that averts false readings that arise from ghost voltages
- Flame sensor measurements
- It is a bit pricey since it is designed for professional use
Runner Up – Klein Tools MM600 HVAC Multimeter
If you are looking for a multimeter that will measure up to 1000V AC/DC voltage, this Klein model could be what you are looking for. Besides its high voltage capability, it is an automatically ranging digital multimeter that will measure capacitance, duty cycle, frequency, temperature, and test continuity and diodes.
High Voltage & Current
This MM600 multimeter is built to measure voltages of up to 1000V AC/DC and 10A AC/DC of current making it ideal for both professional and amateur electricians. Unlike most multimeters which come with a manual current sensing feature, the MM600 automatically switches to AC or DC when making measurements and you don’t have to press any buttons.
Besides its ability to measure current, voltage, capacitance, continuity, frequency, and diode testing, it is also designed to read temperatures. There is also an SEL feature that lets you choose whether temperatures should be displayed in °F or °C.
Ergonomic and Sturdy Design
The dial movement is designed to feel comfortable on the hand plus it comes with a sizeable screen that makes it easy to read measurements. It is also designed with bright backlights that make it possible to use in dark places and also comes with attachable alligator clips and high-quality probes making it easy to switch between probing and clamping modes.
The MM600 boasts a CAT III 1000V / CAT IV 600V safety rating and it is designed with high rupturing capacity fuses which make it possible to control high current and short circuits. This makes it an ideal meter to test primary sources and use in low voltage environments.
The display is large and easy to read with a built-in backlight. This is a very important usability feature. When you’re on the job, anything that makes the working process smooth is worth its weight in gold.
- Built to measure voltages of up to 1000V AC/DC and 10A AC/DC of current
- Automatically switches to AC or DC
- Designed with bright backlights that make it possible to use in dark places
- Continuity beeper has quick response time
- Users have complained that it is slow when reading and measuring continuity
Budget Choice – Amprobe AM-560 Advanced HVAC Digital Multi-meter
If you are looking for an advanced multimeter and are on a budget, this Amprobe AM-560 is an ideal alternative to the more expensive ones. It is classified as an advanced HVAC DMM that can measure a wide array of parameters, and gauge flame sensors.
Besides having the capacity to measure high current and voltage ranges, this multimeter also comes with impressive resistance, capacitance, and frequency ranges. It is also designed with a low pass filter on the AC range to make it possible to measure frequency (up to 1 kHz) and voltage on variable drives. There is also a non-contact voltage sensor and flashlight to make it easier to use.
Large Measurement Ranges
The AM-560 has the ability to measure across large ranges. For instance capacitance measurements range from 60nF to 60mF. It can also measure voltages of up to 1,000V, current from 600μA to 10A, and temperature from -40°F to 1832°F.
This is a manual as well as an auto-ranging multimeter. With this, comes faster response times and greater flexibility. Besides this, it comes with a continuity beeper, diode test, built-in flashlight, and continuity beeper.
Besides the voltage measurement, you can measure temperature with this multimeter. It is also designed with 2 thermocouples and its LED screen can display 2 sets of measurements. With this you can monitor discharge and ambient temperatures.
Two Measurement Modes
The AM-560 comes with 2 different modes that make it possible to make different measurements. There is a Peak hold mode that allows you to freeze the value of a voltage and a MIN/MAX mode which stores low and high readings. With the dual-screen feature, it can display a current-voltage value against a stored one.
High resolution LED Screen
This multimeter also comes with a high-resolution LED screen with a dual display and bright backlight functionality. Besides displaying two temperature values, it comes in handy when showing frequency and voltage measurements. The screen also a fast responding bar graph that picks up noisy signals.
- Designed with a low pass filter to measure frequency and voltage on variable drives
- Comes with a high resolution LED screen with a dual display and bright backlight functionality
- Large capacitance measurement range – 60nF to 60mF
- No true RMS capability. To get this you have to upgrade to the AM-570
Most Versatile – Fieldpiece SC260 Clamp Multimeter With True RMS
Looking for a versatile HVAC multimeter that you can use for a wide array of cases? The SC260 Compact Clamp Meter is a perfect choice that can not only be used to test electrical fittings but also refrigerators and air conditioning units. It also features True RMS measurements.
Fitted with an Auto Select Mode
Besides calculating non-contact voltage, AC/DC voltage continuity, and diode testing, this Fieldpiece SC260 also comes with an auto-select feature that automatically detects whether a current is AC or DC.
When using multimeters that detect temperatures, variations in voltage readings might occur when moving the multimeter from a cold to a hot area. Fortunately, the Fieldpiece SC260 has high-temperature resistance which prevents inaccurate readings.
True RMS Capability
Unlike most multimeters in its range, it is also designed with a Root Mean Square measurement that improves the accuracy of readings when making variable frequencies tests. Besides, it also features a dual temperature display which means that you read temperature measurements in both Fahrenheit and Celsius.
Equipped with LED Backlights
So that you can comfortably work in poor lighting conditions, the Fieldpiece SC260 is equipped with LED backlights. With this, you can easily read measurements in the dark.
- True RMS feature improves the accuracy of readings
- Comes with an auto-select feature that automatically detects whether a current is AC or DC
- Doesn’t read micro amps – a requirement for testing flame sensors
Beginner’s Choice – KAIWEETS Digital Multimeter TRMS 6000
If you are starting out on your journey as an electrician, this KAIWEETS Digital Multimeter is an ideal choice. It comes with most accessories needed to help you slide to the top of your game. With it, you can test a wide array of parameters plus it comes with other notable features.
Wide Range of Applications
This is an auto-ranging multimeter that can make a wide range of accurate measurements such as AC/DC current, voltage, frequency, capacitance, liquid temperature, and continuity. It can also make diode testing and check battery voltage making it an ideal choice for diagnosing household and industrial electrical issues.
Easy to Use
If you are a beginner, getting to know this multimeter is easy. To get started, switch the dial on, and LED lights will turn on to indicate that it ready to use. It also comes with a dual-display screen and a bar graph to make it easy to read measurements plus it has a flashlight on the back for use in dim places.
Besides testing voltage and current, you can also test for non-contact voltage. The screen of the multimeter turns red when testing live wires and also produces a beeping sound. There is also a data retention feature, low battery prompt, auto-ranging, and auto power off.
Safe to Use
This KAIWEETS Digital Multimeter is IEC Rated CAT IV 600V, CE, CAT III 1000V, and also RoHS certified. For extra safety, it also comes with a thermistor protection circuit and a double ceramic fuse. It is also double insulated and the high voltage protection is always on for all ranges. The casing has a silicone layer that prevents the multimeter from damage in case it falls.
- The manufacturer provides lifetime technical support and a 36 month after-sale service
- Has a dual display screen and a bar graph to make it easy to read measurements
- For extra safety, it fitted with a thermistor protection circuit and a double ceramic fuse
- Fuses are not accessible
In this post we have reviewed the top multimeters for HVAC. Here are our top picks:
- Editor’s Choice – Fluke 116/323 KIT HVAC Multimeter and Clamp Meter Combo Kit
- Runner Up – Klein Tools MM600 HVAC Multimeter
- Budget Choice – Amprobe AM-560 Advanced HVAC Digital Multi-meter
- Most Versatile – Fieldpiece SC260 Clamp Multimeter With True RMS
- Beginner’s Choice – KAIWEETS Digital Multimeter TRMS 6000